Tuesday, May 5, 2009

English Village,Erbil, Iraq

These are some pictures of our home in
English Village Sub Division in Erbil, Iraq.
As you can see, all of the houses are the
same. Some friends were giving us a
ride home the other night and as we
turned in to our neighborhood, Eric
told them that our house was the square
tile and concrete house on the left.



During the day our home doubles as an office. From approximately 8am-6pm there is quite a hub of activity. There are two Kurdish men that have an office in our home and ther are visitors that are in and out all day. We serve alot of cups of tea every day and meet some very interesting people.

Friday is the only day off during the week, and Eric and I look forward to the "quiet" on that day.

This is a picture of Rayan, who has an office in our home. On the day that I arrived he had purchased three begonia plants and placed them around the house and he let me know that the house needed a woman's touch, and that was now my job. It was such a wonderful "welcome" and they are still blooming in the window sill in our kitchen and serve as a reminder of the kindness of the Kurdish people.


Eric, Hawree (who also has an office in our home), Mazin, who works out at the plant and comes a couple days a week for English lessons and Simco (a visitor.)






My kitchen. Actually, we have hired a woman who cleans the offices and cooks a noonday meal for everyone...so, I guess it is her kithcen also. Her name is Shatha. She and her husband have 6 girls and 1 boy. They have moved here from Baghdad and live in a small apartment in Ankowa, the Christian Community in Erbil.





Pansies from my yard. These are for you, Mom.











4 comments:

  1. Martha, it is so nice to see where you live now and learn about your new lifestyle. Best wishes during your journey! -Lori Hill Orth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martha!
    It's so good to hear from you! It's fascinatng to see how different life is for you now. I can't imagine my home also being an office....what a difference that must be! I miss you and think of you so often....
    Take care! Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now reading your blog... I can hear your voice as I read your words, makes me miss you so much! I bet the people you meet find you a delight...because THAT is what you are! I miss you so much, but I'm for Eric that he doesn't have to journey without you. LOVE YOU, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my how awesome. I can't wait till you get home and hear all about it. I know you are touching so many people as you always do, you have the special touch to people's hearts. Be safe. See you when you get home. Kim Turner

    ReplyDelete